How You Can Choose Between Hemp Flower And CBD Oil?
For many years, the cannabis industry has been divided into two distinct categories—flower and oil. While these terms are often used interchangeably in casual conversation, they are essentially different types of products that serve different purposes.
Flower is a term that refers to an entire plant with all its parts intact, while oil is simply the extracted liquid from the plant’s flower. The word “oil” is more commonly used for the extracted product produced by pressing the flowers or leaves through a filter.
While people use both words as shorthand, there are important differences between them.
In this guide, we will explain how you can choose between hemp flower and CBD oil so you know what each one offers.
What is CBD flower?
Cannabidiol (or CBD) is found in the cannabis plant. For decades, it was not possible to isolate CBD without destroying the plant, but technological innovations have made it much easier today. Cannabis growers are able to extract CBD-rich strains through their plants, which means you can purchase pure CBD without having to deal with any other chemicals or cannabinoids.
With CBD flower, the flowers are harvested before they reach maturity. This way, the plants are still producing CBD-rich extracts, but they aren’t yet flowering. Once the buds start forming, the extraction process becomes difficult because the flowers are very small. As a result, CBD flower usually contains higher levels of THC than CBD oil.
Why should I buy CBD flower instead of CBD oil?
There are several reasons why you should consider purchasing CBD flower instead of CBD oil. Some of the most obvious benefits include:
1. High quality: Since CBD flower has never been exposed to light, it has a superior level of purity compared to the extracted oil. It also tastes better since it hasn’t gone through any chemical processing. That said, if you want a smooth, tasteless experience, CBD oil might be better for you.
2. Price: When you buy CBD flower, you are getting a product that has not been chemically processed at all. Therefore, you get a high-quality product at a fraction of the price. CBD flower typically sells for anywhere from $100-$300 per gram, while CBD oil sells for around $50-$150 per gram.
3. Variety: If you love trying new things, then you will probably enjoy shopping for CBD flower. Not only do you get access to a wide variety of products, but you can also try out different strains in order to find your favorite ones. In contrast, CBD oil comes from just a few companies, so you won’t be able to sample as many products. If you don’t like the taste, you can always add some sweetener to make it more palatable.
4. Availability: If you live in a legal state where medical marijuana is legal, you may be able to find CBD flower easily online. However, you will need to make sure that the seller ships to your state. Additionally, when buying CBD flower, you must be aware that it could take up to six weeks before you receive the product.
5. Taste: Although CBD flower provides a smoother taste than CBD oil, it doesn’t mean that you can’t improve it using food additives. To ensure that you get the best taste, you can use vanilla or coconut milk powder. Alternatively, you can add maple syrup to boost the sweetness of the product.
6. Effectiveness: Since CBD flower has not been exposed to sunlight, it will maintain its potency for a longer time. That said, keep in mind that there is no scientific evidence that shows that CBD flower is more effective than CBD oil.
7. Side effects: There is currently no conclusive evidence on whether CBD flower causes any negative side effects. However, it’s worth noting that you cannot consume CBD flower if you suffer from liver or kidney problems.
8. Medical claims: According to the Food and Drug Administration, CBD oil cannot contain any health claims. However, CBD flower can claim to treat specific conditions such as anxiety or insomnia.
How can I tell the difference between CBD flower and CBD oil?
Even though CBD flower and CBD oil appear similar, they are actually quite different. Here are the main ways to determine which type of product you are looking for:
1. Appearance: Most CBD oils come in dropper bottles, which are easy to carry around. They also have colorful labels that inform consumers about the dosage and ingredients. On the other hand, CBD flower comes in pre-rolled joints or pre-packed packets that resemble candy.
2. Flavor: Many people think that CBD oil has little flavor, but they are wrong. When properly mixed with sweeteners such as honey, cocoa butter, and peanut butter, CBD oil can taste delicious. Similarly, CBD flower can be enjoyed straight out of the packet or mixed with various flavors like chocolate, strawberry, or mango.
3. Dosing: Both CBD flower and CBD oil come in varying sizes and strengths. The amount of CBD per serving depends on the packaging, but the recommended dose is usually somewhere between 1-5 milligrams. When choosing between CBD oil and CBD flower, you should remember that you will need to consume less CBD flower because it isn’t as potent. Additionally, if you prefer vaping, you should select CBD oil because it has a stronger effect.
4. Tolerance: Because CBD oil is made from the whole plant, you will likely develop a tolerance to it. However, this is only true if you consume large amounts of CBD oil over a short period of time. For example, if you mix 25 drops of CBD oil with 2 tablespoons of water, you will likely become intoxicated within 20 minutes. On the other hand, CBD flower is completely non-intoxicating, which means that you won’t feel any adverse effects even after consuming huge amounts of it.
5. Duration: CBD oil lasts for roughly 24 hours due to its fast-acting nature. It’s also highly concentrated, so you will only need a tiny bit of it to reap the beneficial effects. In comparison, CBD flower lasts for up to four days, so you will need to consume more of it to get the same effects.
6. Cost: CBD oil is considerably cheaper than CBD flower, which makes it easier for patients who rely on government assistance programs to afford it. However, if you live in a place where recreational use of cannabis is illegal, you will have to pay taxes for the CBD flower. This is because the FDA does not recognize CBD flower as a medicine.
7. Legal status: CBD flower is considered to be illegal in the US, while CBD oil is legal under certain circumstances. If you live in a state where marijuana is legal, then you can legally buy CBD oil. Otherwise, you can buy CBD flower, but you will have to follow federal guidelines.
8. Safety: CBD flower and CBD oil are generally considered to be safe. However, if you are allergic to hemp or any of its components, you should avoid it.
9. Delivery method: One major difference between CBD flower and CBD oil is their delivery methods. Unlike CBD oil, CBD flower cannot be absorbed through the digestive tract. Instead, you can either smoke it or roll it into a joint.